The 'Bear & Rugged Staff' dates from the middle of the 17th century. The timber frame was at some point exposed but over time had been covered over. Fred's premises were slightly further down the hill in the background of this photograph. The building somehow survived the blitz but sadly was demolished during the redevelopment of Castle Park 50 years ago.
Little Peter St, Bristol 1880 - Bear & Ragged Staff.